Sunday 9 September 2012

Circular No 566.1







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 9 September 2012 No.566 extra
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:21 PM
Minutes from meeting held on Friday 7th September at Trinidad Union Club
Meeting started at 5:30 pm and ended at 7:15 pm.
We only had four people turn out.
Joseph Berment Mc-Dowald
Garth Alexander
James Samaroo
Gabriel Faria
Winston Ramsahai by Telephone.
5,000 souvenir magazines, 12 pages will cost 12k to print and distribute Gabriel will arrange to supply at cost, writing and editing 6k Joanne Williams will be working on this aspect.
Ad revenue estimated at 30k
full page $5,000.00
half page $3,000.00
1/4 page $2,000.00
Profit could be between 10 - 12k which will go to the old boys association and part of the proceeds could be used to offset expenses associated with old boy activities for the Centenary weekend.
We need to determine who could be possible advertisers.
ACTION Rudi.
Donations to the centenary celebrations
Refreshments & snack plate to be served after the mass to attendees
This is an initiative of Winston Ramsahai.
He is dealing with this in terms of contacting old boys who will make the donations and these people will be recognized individually for their respective donations.
Event at the mount to recognise the work done by the Monks.
Jimmy confirmed a short function from 2 pm by the pilgrimage room below the gift shop.
Gift for the Father Cuthbert and the rest of the monks.
I was suggested that we offer him a business class trip to Holland approx $3,000.00 US and additional funds to cover his expenses there $1,000.00 US.
We would also like to give the other monks (12) a token at a value of approximately US$50 -US$80 a total of approx US$ 1,000.00.
Based on the limited time it was suggested that we give them gift vouchers for the value on the 6th and then let them choose the item they would like from the gift shop at the Vatican.
Joe would take the lead on rallying the boys to make the donations.
Donations from Trinidad would be handled by Joe and donations from abroad could be channelled to a paypal account in US$.
The total amount we would like to raise for this specific effort is US$ 5,000.00
It was agreed that we would ask each old boy to donate a minimum of US$ 50.00 however we hope that many of the old boys would donate more than this to ensure that we reach our target.
A full account of all funds received would be posted on the page.
Events for the weekend of the 5- 7th October
We have only firmed up two events:
Friday 5th October 5- 8 pm lime at the Trinidad Union Club
Cash bar and snacks.
We will need a minimum attendance of 20 people to keep this event on the calendar.
Saturday 6th 10:00am- 11:30 am Celebration Mass at the Mount.
Saturday 6th 2pm- 2:30 pm short function to present the gifts to Father Cuthbert and the monks.
No other events have been confirmed for the weekend the options discussed were
SATURDAY
The possibly joining the monks for vespers on Saturday at approx 3 pm. JBM TO CNFM
We will see if any old boys will consider having a lime at their home on Saturday night.
Another option discussed was the possibly of having a lime on the Chagaramas board walk Saturday evening.
Everyone will walk with their own cooler and food and other items to barbecue/share.
We will consider renting a tent for the event that the weather turns inclement.
Wood for a bonfire and a barbecue pit could all be arranged, if there is sufficient interest.
SUNDAY
The options discussed were:
A beach lime to Las Cuevas using a house owned by Roger Juman - - Jimmy to check.
OR a beach lime at Maracas or any other beach which is logistically practical.
FOREIGN OLD BOYS WHO HAVE CONFIRMED THEY WILL BE FLYING IN FOR THE WEEKEND.
Neil Charles
Ken Austin
We would like to know if any other Old Boys will be flying in for the weekend.
We will set up events on the Facebook page and ask people to confirm their attendance IF THEY ARE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Meeting/Lime on the 24th August 5 pm at the Trinidad Union Club.Penthouse of Nicholas Towers.
FROM: Faria Gabriel
Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:06 AM
This is our group address on Facebook, please join so you can get live updates and info on events and live chat with other old boys.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/msbabbeyoldboys/
Guys,
We are having a meeting and lime at the Trinidad Union Club on Friday 24th August starting at 5pm to discuss ideas on what activities we should do for the weekend.
We hope most of the local group can join us.
Its private members club so need your reply by tomorrow to put your name at the door.
There will be a cash bar and snacks available for purchase.
Look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Gabriel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Nigel Boos
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:07 AM
Everyone,
Gabriel has done a tremendous job already, and as he says, he's not even "involved in the association". Now, I'm sure he meant that he's not a member of the Executive, but surely, as an Old Boy of MSB, he is automatically "involved in the association". I see myself in the same boat, by the way.
Gabriel refers to "the official group". Who, may I ask, is on this "official group" and what action/s have they taken to ensure that the 100th Anniversary of the foundation of the Monastery is properly celebrated? Rather than leave the arrangements, such as they may be, to "uninvolved" members of the Association, it seems reasonable to expect that the Executive should by now be clearly in charge of the celebration arrangements and that a solid plan has been agreed upon.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-10, at 11:46 PM, Faria Gabriel wrote:
Guys,
I am not involved in the association.
I am trying to give this effort a shot in the hand to move it forward but I will not be able to participate on a long term basis due to my job and travel.
I only jumped in because I realized that the time was getting shorter and we needed to do something.
To be very honest the only thing I am personally interested in is ensuring that we recognize Cutty. Every old boy I have every spoken to always says that he made a significant impact on them.
I have paid personally for the snacks and light refreshments for the two meetings we held at the Club.
After this I will leave it up to the official group to move the projects forward.
I fly out on Wednesday and will not be back until the evening of the 26th.
Regards
Gabriel
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 10:54 AM
Dear George,
I do agree with all that is said and done here, we will have to wait and see how it all turns out, I must thank the younger brothers for making a difference, as we know everything takes money, I hear a lot of talk about everything and lots of ideas, then someone ask for a donation and everyone runs the opposite direction.
Even some of the people who asking for donations don't make any, I live in a real world, I don't talk about God, I show my love for God in my actions everyday of my life.
I support something I believe in with all my soul.
I only expect those who really care will help, the others are just liming in our area, all we really need is only a few good men, Gabriel I really was expecting to hear about this when Ladislao was in Trinidad, but we heard nothing then we were expecting to hear more when Joe visited Toronto, we heard nothing, so Gabriel I was shock about the late scramble to do something, well guy what can I say, all I can do is try to support your true brotherly love to save the moment, I certainly respect you a lot for just trying my brother, you have succeeded in book already.
Cheers George thank you for always caring and trying to understand who we are and where we are going.
On behalf of the Club, best regards my brothers, Glen McKoy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:04:52 -0500
Hi Gabriel.....I gauge interest via active participation and interest.
From my little corner of the world, I perceive about a dozen or so alumni who are interacting with the website.
This is not very much versus the “excitement” of the upcoming centenary celebration.
Next calibration point for me will be the number of contributors and amount of $$ that will be donated toward the different items that have been requested.
Another perspective is that there seemed to be limited interest in the proposal by Father Imamshah for the formation of an association.
All in all, I will continue to personally participate but are not very optimistic about large numbers of alumni suddenly awakening and getting involved.
However, I am a humble servant and recognize that this can be easily changed by the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. May God helps and His will be done, George
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Nigel Boos
Friday, August 31, 2012 11:57 AM
OK, you guys.
Thanks to those who replied to my three emails about the MSB 100th Anniversary celebration in October.
I had planned a get together at the Wheat Sheaf Pub (corner of Bathurst and King Sts. in Toronto) this evening at 7.00 p.m. to discuss what you fellas would like to do, but since only 2 guys have found it possible to attend, I've no further interest in the programme. I've run out of options, and I'm totally occupied from this point onwards.
Anyone who wishes to plan something else, please do so. Let me know what you wish to do, and I'll try to get involved.
I get the point.
Nigel
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Meeting to discuss a program for October 6th
FROM: Nigel Boos
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info, Pete.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-08-29, at 7:12 PM, Pete Da Costa wrote:
Sorry Nigel all my summer weekends are out of town.
You remember Grand Bend and Ipperwash from your London days?
> -----Original Message-----
From: Nigel Boos [mailto:nigelboos@yahoo.ca]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 7:04 AM
Guys,
I'd like to invite everyone to a meeting to discuss plans to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Founding of Mt. St. Benedict in Trinidad. I'm looking for a location easy of access to everyone, and for argument's sake, I'm suggesting the Wheat Sheaf, an old pub on the SW corner of King & Bathurst Streets in Toronto. I'm also suggesting Friday evening, August 31st, at 7.00 p.m.
Before I go ahead and reserve the place, I'd like to know how many of us would care to get together to talk about "a plan". Would you please let me know whether you can make it for that day and time?
Please respond by email, no later than Thursday, August 30th.
Regards.
Nigel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-09-04, at 11:30 PM, Aché, Reynaldo wrote:
Nigel,
Thanks for your response. Correct spelling of my name is Reynaldo not with the "I".
Good question on the Ramlogans. If you have any pictures of Form I, and an individual has been identified as a Ramlogan then he should be the same individual in the picture of Form II since we were being promoted at the same time. Additionally, I was invited to visit the hotel soon after it opened but can't remember which of them accompanied me on the visit but David rings a bell. I met the father however I can't recall much more.
I will try looking at some old information to see if something clicks.
Hope this helps
Reynaldo
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
12LK6366RADGRP, Robert Date, Winston Ramsahai, Winston Kerry and Hemchand (Toddy) Ramsahai
12LK6329UNIONTWR
59WK0059TUGWAR, Tug a war with Richar Galt
10LK3398EDIMSB, The was poultry.




No comments:

Post a Comment