Saturday 16 June 2012

Circular No 554


Mount Inside #46 p02
FATHER WILLIAM IS BACK

My long-time friend Fr. William Boers has recently returned from Haiti where he sojourned in a newly –founded and what he described as a “magnificent, mansion-like monastery”.

He spent one year among a simple, poverty-stricken, Voodoo infested island people and there attempted to spread the Benedictine way of life.

A gifted artist in local wood and handyman of the Monastery, Fr. William is in love with the Caribbean, its many peoples and with “what is here in Trinidad” to use his words. This kind-hearted, charitable monk was born in Suriname, South America, in 1910 and arrived in Trinidad in 1931.

Attracted to the religious life while yet a school boy (he received his secondary education in Europe), Fr. William is “one of nine children” who always wanted to live and stay in the West Indies. The Abbey at Mount St, Benedict was therefore the answer.

He is fluent in Dutch, French, German and English and managed well in Creole Patois while in Haiti.

Asked to recall the reckless, roaring 1920s during which years he was at school in Europe, Fr. William replied: “Those years had no effect on me whatsoever”. He went on to remark that after the Second World War (1939 – 1945) the whole social structure in Trinidad changed dramatically.

He spoke enthusiastically of how he used to be a great walker in his younger years, the leader on many an expedition that set out from the Mount in the good old days.

(More on this brave Benedictine and his Haitian experiences in our next issue)





Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 16 June 2012 No.554
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Continuing with the short resume of my trip to TT.
On Monday there was the Union towers lunch.
The setting was very beautiful, the impressive view from this height of the city give a nice background.
Before and during the lunch, we were filmed by a crew of film makers, leaving for the posterity the record of the event.
Hope that the film and shots will soon be seen.
I did participate in a short speech, and sorry to say it was unprepared.
The menu was very good and there were repeats.
Before leaving the premises I took photos thru the windows as I am sure you would like to see the 2012 PoS.
Some buildings are of yesterdays and I could recognized them even after so many years, enjoy the photos.
Association meeting
As soon as we left the Union Towers we went direct to Dennis Gurley’s office.
In the ASAA meeting, the following oldboys were present.
Joseph Berment
Christopher Knowles
Dennis Gurley
Ladislao Kertesz
Peter Sammy
Gary Mathews
Enrique Bonaparte
Joseph Habib
Michael D´ornellas
Winston Kerry
Some topics were discussed as to how to relunch the initiative of the Association, or I would say, let the Association do something tangible.
Not only to justify its formation but also to show its members that it is doing positive activities in their behalf.
I am sure that at least one of the assistants is going to help me by writting what was accomplished at the meeting-
1960 Class reunion dinner
After the Association meeting all members of the 1960 class got together at the Mai Lai Chinese restaurant for the class reunion.
The details of this event shall be for future reading.
Thanks to Christopher Knowles for contacting all local classmates that are in Trinidad
A total of eight if I am not wrong.
Christopher Webster
David Pampellone
Randal Galt
Michael Howard
Michael Herrera
Roger Henderson
Christopher Knowles
Graham Gonsalves
Ladislao Kertesz.
Hopefully we can keep in touch in the future, I had a nice talk with each.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Joseph Berment-McDowald's visit to Toronto 1
FROM: Nigel Boos
Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:21 PM
David,
Here's the note I'd sent some time ago, for your information.
It seems that June 23rd shall be the best date for our get together.
By the way, I've contacted Art Gregorio's home (416-431-4504) and spoken today to his wife, Yolanda.
He was the Bursar at MSB between 1965-70, now lives in Scarborough, and his email address is ygregorio@sympatico.ca,
Might I suggest that he too should be invited?
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-22, at 8:23 AM,
KAZIM ABASALI wrote:
Thank you David for opening up you and your family's home and hearts for our Canada MSB get-together.
I pray and hope that we honour you with our gathering.
Nigel, if I am available during that time I can help you with the move.
Just say the word, I am sure some of the boys would love to assist you with your daughter's move and make sure you celebrate with us after.
Let us know what is involved with respect to the moving, and also what support David needs with the hosting of the MSB get-together.
This way we can all pitch in and make the event memorable.
Blessings to all......Kazim
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Joseph Berment-McDowald's visit to Toronto
From: nigelboos@yahoo.ca
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:26:34 -0400
David,
This is wonderful. Thank you for offering to host an evening with "the Boys of MSB." I'd love to be there.
Please let me know the date and time.
My daughter is moving her office around that time, and I must give priority to helping her with her move, but once I'm available, you bet I'll be there.
Would you like me to bring a dish or to contribute in any way at all.?
Nigel
P.S. I couldn't help noticing the email addresses you used in sending out your note, and you might wish to make a few corrections to your address book:
Ken Bhagan's address is ycstjamestown@gmail.com,
Terence Gonzalves' address is terrybarbs@sympatico.ca,
Thanks again.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-21, at 4:59 PM, David Johnson wrote:
Gentlemen
As some of you may know Joe Berment and Kazim will be visiting the GTA in late June.
I would like to extend an Invitation to you all to come and celebrate a small reunion with them at my home in Richmond Hill.
Could everyone respond by 25 May 2012 for planning?
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
David Johnson
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: kazim2u@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:49:59 -0400
Yes Nigel,
I will like to accommodate the group with the least amount of planning possible.
And I will be there when Joe is in Toronto June 21-26, 2012.
In addition, I would like this get-together to be arranged without any cost to anyone to organize the event.
If we can meet at a public place, a restaurant, like what you all did recently for roti.
I strongly feel that we must entertain everyone without making the group of boys and family an expensive endeavour.
The important thing is for us to get together and have fun.
So let us make this event one of coming together with the accent on family.
This is my feelings, and I realize others will have other ideas of how they want to do this reuniting.
However, if someone wants a gala reception, I feel they should sponsor the event and not have to put others through their expensive tastes. (I am not saying anyone is doing this, I am merely sharing that this can happen).
What if we cooked some dishes ourselves and brought our dishes and drinks to share at someone's home as some of the Boys still do.
I am just throwing out ideas here.
Let us see how we can do this with respect, love, and honouring one another, even with some music and some dancing.
Now that will be great fun.
Thank you for your kind considerations.
Loving regards to you all my brothers.......Kazim
------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Joseph Berment-McDowald's visit to Toronto
From: nigelboos@yahoo.ca
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:13:35 -0400
David,
It would be perfect if Kazim Abasali and Joe Berment could arrange to be in Toronto at the same time, so why don't we ask them up front if this is possible.
Joe - on your return trip from Hong Kong, I understand that you plan to be in Toronto between June 21 - 26 / 2012
Kazim - I have no idea WHEN you're planning to be here, but is it possible for you to come during the days that Joe Berment is in town?
If so, we could have a strong reason to try to get everyone together on one of the days you guys will be here.
Please respond when appropriate.
Thanks,
Nigel
------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-14, at 12:03 PM, David Johnson wrote:
Nigel
It would be my pleasure to arrange a dinner at a restaurant for a group.
I will have to know quantities so I could book the restaurant.
David
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Joseph Berment-McDowald's visit to Toronto
From: nigelboos@yahoo.ca
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:53:07 -0400
Thanks for the update, Joe.
Dave, here's the latest.
Now, as it turns out, I expect to be active in the Sarnia area during June and as such, I'm going to find it difficult to be free to make any "preparations" for Joe's visit.
Would you be free and willing to undertake arranging a little get together for him?
I'd love to attend, myself.
And others in Ontario might like to also be there.
I'd suggest that a date during his return visit from Hong Kong might be a better time.
Please let me know if you'd like to handle it.
Nigel
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-14, at 10:36 AM, Joseph Berment-McDowald wrote:
Dear Nigel,
I very much appreciate David's initiative.
I and David haven’t seen or spoken to one another for over twenty years, although I remember him very kindly. Rory, David, Marlon and the Guio’s and I have always been especially close.
We are coming to TO in the 1st instance to attend a wedding and will only be in town for a few days on our way to Hong Kong.
Regrettably, I have business to attend to whilst in Toronto and the only free day is Sunday 3rd of June.
I hadn't planned that any fuss would be made about my visit, although I always love to see as many Old Boys as possible.
If we can have an intimate tête-à-tête over a meal it would be wonderful.
I don't expect anything and wouldn't want anyone to go out of their way.
I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to come from out of province to see me or for anything to be planned around me.
We will also be in town between June 21st and 26th, which would provide better opportunities to get together, especially after work and on the week end.
We normally stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Hotel, in Vaughan, which has a certain convenience for small gatherings.
The manager knows us and may be facilitative, especially if I don’t try to negotiate down our room rate.
Sincerely,
Joseph Berment-McDowald
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Received: Monday, May 14, 2012, 8:39 AM
Dave,
I'm afraid this may be too much of an overkill.
We had 2 visitors here on May 4th and had a "Roti Night" for them at Rotilicious.
Then we expect Kazim Abasali here in June and have begun "pre-planning' for a little get together with him.
Now, you say that Joe is arriving at the end of May.
I've not heard from Joe about this and would like to hear from him.
If he'd like to meet with the guys, I'd like to know specifics - day, time, availability, etc. and I'll see what I can do to get some of the fellas together.
Joe, please respond. (Any chance that you might plan to be here at the same time as Kazim?)
Nigel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@yahoo.ca>
Date: 14 May, 2012 10:21:07 PM EDT
Thanks, Kazim.
OK, David, it's now over to you, I guess - apparently, both Kazim and Joe will be in town during the period Thursday, June 21- Tuesday, June 26th. It would seem to me that June 23rd - a Saturday) might be a good choice of date.
If you agree, then how about sending out general invitation to all the MSB OB's here in Ontario and invite everyone to come together for an evening of fun and recollection. You might like to keep Kazim's suggestions in mind as well.
Here's a database list of all the OB's in Ontario:
In addition, you might like to invite Art Gregorio (416-431-4504) to join us as well.
Please keep me in the loop.
Best wishes, and here's wishing you every success.
Nigel
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-12, at 12:49 PM, David Johnson wrote:
Nigel
Joseph Berment, another Mount old boy, is coming to TO. at the end of May.
When were you thinking of having the next Roti lime as I know he would be interested in seeing some of the people up here
David
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2012-05-05, at 7:50 AM, A Mickiewicz wrote:
Thanks guys for arranging and participating in a wonderful get together last night.
I had a great time visiting with good friends, reminiscing, and remembering the sweet taste of a roti and a Carib after 50 years;
Thanks Glen for picking up the tab!!!
An additional pleasure was meeting your families.
May God bless you all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside 46 page 02, Fr.Williams
12LK6250LKEFCU, Ladislao Kertesz and Fr. Cuthbert
12LK6244FAU, Fr. Augustine
12LK6266MELOGRP, At the dock waiting for the crew.




No comments:

Post a Comment