Saturday 12 May 2012

Circular No 549





PROGRAMME


1. Two Songs by the School Choir

a) Golden Slumbers – Eric H. Thiman
b) This Is My Father’s World – Franklin L. Sheppard

2. The Principal’s Report

3. Distribution of Certificates and Prizes.

4. Summer Comes to the Diamond O

A comedy in One Act by Robert Finch

5. Address by Rt. Reverend Father Abbot

6. God Bless the Pope

The National Anthem


p.03


Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 12 May 2012 No.549
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Just a few days for my trip to Trinidad.
Shall send you the photos soon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fw: TORONTO REUNION
From: A Mickiewicz
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:26 AM
Hi Cornel......Good to hear from you.
You can see me in the 1962 graduating class photograph; I do not have one of my own from that era.
We did indeed cross paths as I attended MSB from 1956 to 1962; Freddy Freytes was there too.....
Looking forward to the get together, George (Yury, Shish)
Ps Hope we get the photos, the editor
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Cornel de Freitas
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 11:37 PM
Hi George,
So very Great to hear from you.
I don't know if you are aware, or if you have heard, but Andres (Freddy) Freytes will be coming up to Toronto around the same time, I believe he was in my class.
It is always exciting hearing from a Mount 'Old Boy' , even better if you get to meet them in person.
That you will be up here in Toronto from May 1st; to May 5th.
Will be a terrific opportunity to meet you.
If you have a sec. could you let me know when you attended The Abbey School?
Have you had a chance to contact Nigel Boos. He lives in Ajax, just 45mins. outside of Toronto.
That is where the little restaurant called "Rotiliscious" is located, where we have enjoyed the great company of those that one of our brothers that visited, and enjoyed a nice Roti and Carib together.
If you have any pictures of your time at The Abbey School, it would provide a great chance to reminisce.
Looking forward to the opportunity to meet you.
Sincerely,
Cornel....
P.S.: I am attaching a few photographs taken at our last Little Mini reunion at "ROTILISCIOUS" in Ajax in 2009-06
Cornel A. de Freitas
MSB 1959-1964
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: amickiew@att.net
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:41:01 -0500
Hi Nigel et al;
Been asked to go to Toronto next week on a consulting trip.
Will actually be in Mississauga.
I will be arriving on May 1st and departing on May 5th.
Please keep me posted of any get together for those days that I will be there.
I can feel the Holy Spirit stirring things up for a mini-multinational “ole boys” Canadian reunion,
George
-----------------------------------------------------------.
From: andres federico freytez borges
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 3:06 PM
Wow ...Don´t pass me by!!!
I´ll arrive in Toronto on May 3rd...just next week...will phone Nigel asap!!!!
Andres (Freddy) Freites
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Glen Mckoy
Monday, April 23, 2012 10:29 PM
Mi Amigo Andres, (Don't worry Kazim got you on the list Now, ha! ha!)
I hear you will be in Toronto soon.
Please keep in contact via email, will be glad to talk to you, I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia, depending on how long you will be there, we may make contact.
There are many Old Boys in Toronto, a few Venezuelans also
We will keep in touch, My phone # 902-483-3889.
Cheers mi hermano, have a good flight,
Adios, Glen McKoy.
------------------------------------------------------------.
From: andresfreytez@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:36:44 -0430
Wow ...Don´t pass me by!!!
I´ll arrive in Toronto on May 3rd...just next week...will phone Nigel asap!!!!
Andres (Freddy) Freites
Pax in Virtute. O.S.B.
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Cornel de Freitas
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:19 AM
My Dear Brothers,
I am sitting here, watching my cursor flash, and flash ....
Searching in the deepest recesses of my mind (or heart as we often prefer to say) to find right words, that will adequately express the over whelming 'Gratitude' I have/feel for all of you.
To also acknowledge the other "Quiet" contributors behind the scenes doing their part.
[In a large way that would also include just about everyone that keeps the electricity of communications in the form of letters, greetings, announcements and plans for getting together and sharing "Time" in the form of a "Mini Reunion" over a drink and reminiscing over times at The Mount, enjoying a 'Roti' and a'Carib'. (can you tell, I love Roti)
I mean you can build a beautiful road to get somewhere, but if you don't use it, will it not get overgrown and fall apart,
Like the no longer used path that we travelled every day from school to the pool and playing field.
How sad that it has now overgrown and fallen apart, and now lonely and silent that path now sounds when it once enjoyed the chatting and laughter of a lot of young boys.
There is no "One Word".
You are ALL Very Special People for all that you do.
I am truly blest to part of this Great Brotherhood, and I feel so proud, so very proud, to belong to such a unique group of GOD's children.
I am pretty sure there are others that have that same feeling.
I remember once referring to those weaving a 'Golden Thread of Love', linking us all together as one special family of brothers.
I wish it were possible to reach out and give each of you a great big hug, and in doing so, let you guys know how much your contributions to "The Realm", as my dear brother Glen (I hope you're smiling Glen) 'caringly' refers to a real special group of men.
We all met as "little boys", removed from their moms and dads, and those first scary days and weeks slowly transformed into a brotherhood.
As we grew we fostered new friendships and relationships.
We may not have known all of the brothers personally, but our lives overlapped, and just knowing that an older brother or younger brother attended that same White Castle In The Sky we so lovingly know as "The Abbey School", we identified so automatically as a large family of brothers.
When that very first letter (e~mail) from Ladislao appeared in my hotmail inbox, and Ladislao's words to me were:
"Cornel, thank GOD we've found you !" They flashed me back to images of my "Home" on Mount St. Benedict.
Probably the saddest moment in my life was the day I left the Mount forever.
The memories of that day started flashing through my mind, coming through like short movies that captured so many memories.
The worst being, putting my suitcase in the trunk of the black Vauxhall Cresta (I believed to be Father Abbot's personal Limo), drove me to Piarco for my last plane trip back to my family in Aruba.
The tears welled up in my eyes, because I remembered how much I missed the Mount and all my 'Brothers'.
Thanks Ladislao, for 'Finding' me.
In his very next e~mail he let me know that he knew that there was an MSB old boy that lived not far from me, in Ajax.
That brother was you Nigel.
I live in Toronto, and the town of Ajax where Nigel resides is about a 45 minute drive from me.
I was so overjoyed at the thought of meeting an MSB Old Boy. I didn't waste anytime.
I found out that Michael was returning a friends computer that he had fixed, who happened to live in Ajax ... we decided to pay Nigel a visit on that same day.
Even though I never knew Nigel, it didn't matter.
I contacted Nigel, introduced myself and arranged a visit so I could meet him.
I remember when Nigel opened his door to greet me(us), we gave each other a Big Hug,
At that very moment my past rejoined with my present, and once again,
Couldn’t stop the feelings and my emotions of how happy I felt surfaced in the form of tears generated by that first contact.
It was like reconnecting with an older brother I hadn't seen in so many years, (almost 50 years) and missed so much.
Thanks to all of you, for in a way, or in a manner of speaking you've all given me back the life I thought I had lost contact with.
All of you contributed so much to the lives of so many...bringing back to me some of the happiest days of my life and to others as well.
Reconnecting us, giving us a means of communicating with our other brothers.
Allowing us to share our lives with those other brothers who are like our family also.
I (we) need to let you know how much your great work reaches into the inner parts of us, even just for the simple privilege of belonging. to the greatest bunch of caring people.
Let’s also remember those that contribute by sending all the emails, and communicating with each other, exchanging stories, as well as the likes of Salvador Coscarart, (Our Knight Ambassador ~ as I like to call him, because I feel he has earned that 'Title' - as a "Knight of The Realm") Travelling to other places, reconnecting other brothers, and bringing them back into the fold.
[At this very moment as I type this e~mail, Salvador Coscarart pops on to my Msn Chat screen, and I took a few minutes to greet him and inquire as to his health, how he is doing.
Letting him know, in those couple of minutes, that it is time once again to meet at the little restaurant in Ajax called "Rotiliscious" for a 'Roti' and where a cold 'Carib' awaits us.
That's the same little restaurant, where we met with Nigel, Terence Fereira, Carlos Guio, Salvador Coscarart and a few others.
(Still trying to get Glen to come on over to try a real 'Roti' at "Rotiliscious".]
I am beginning to sound like an advertisement for Rotiliscious.
Thanks again to Nigel who arranged it all.
Nigel, we haven’t forgotten that scrumptuous cup~cake your gracious wife treated us with.
Haven't tasted a better one yet...don't think that one can be topped.
You see what I mean is, that immense gift of "sharing", of our words, our stories our lives,
Even the sometimes 'little battles of words' back and forth, being able to express ourselves and share our thoughts and feelings.
What an immense gift of Love and Caring!
In the beginning of this 'letter', I spoke of "thinking of what the best possible words" I could use,
To express my sincerest gratitude to you all, and all of the others who contribute so very much,
By using the opportunities you have provided us with, this road, or path,
That although we may be far apart in different places, it brings us all together,
In a fantastic unity of a Very Special Brotherhood of Mount St. Benedict Old Boys.
I think I excelled in a manner of 'speaking',
In attempting to come up with the best words that I can in order to express the gratitude that I feel inside,
It took a 'Small Little' Book to say it ...! (Look at that, I even sound like a 'Trini' ... 'small little book' ...)
Goes to prove you can take the man outta Trini, but you can never take the Trini outta the man.
Please keep Wayne Henderson and his Family in your prayers.
GOD Bless you all and your loving families.
Sincerely, your Brother for Life
Cornel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From: mckoy43glen@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:17:24 +0000
My Dear George,
You have said it all here about our brother Kazim, a Knight that only went to the mount for 2 years and his contribution is so grand.
With brothers like this, I see a long and lasting future for our Club.
On behalf of the entire Club, 3 cheers for Kazim, your efforts will not be in vain.
Thank you very much, for showing us that every single member, whatever their input, makes a big difference.
It is spring, a rebirth of inspiration, long live our Realm, long live the Club, long live the Mount.
Best regards to all my brothers, keep the sunshine in your hearts,
Later, Glen McKoy.
-------------------------------------------------------------.
From: amickiew@att.net
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 06:10:14 -0500
Hi Kazim........
Great work my brother.
It is always important to publicly recognize those individuals in our lives who personally contribute their time for the benefit of others.
These folks who you mention have a real passion for MSB and have demonstrated it in so many ways through decades.
Thank you for being one of these very special “old boys”.......
May God bless you and your much valued and appreciated work,
George
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: kazim abasali
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:00 PM
Subject: Mt St Benedict Alumni website New Feature Article
The Mt. St. Benedict Alumni Website is starting a new segment featuring our Mount Boys.
This Project is on behalf of Ladislao Kertesz, Don Mitchell, Nigel Boos, and others like Jon Golding, Glen McKoy, and The Alumni Association Executive members, and in honour of their life's work, the continual work they do to keep our fraternity together.
This segment serves to share more about the Boys and add to the work that the newsletter does. We will be featuring other Mount Boys. If you would like a feature section on yourself, kindly send us details, photos, etc, to me at this email address. The feature sections will be archived so the website visitors will always have access to these articles.
Often times when we do honour our Boys is when it is too late. We are now showing our appreciation to your life's work. We are recognizing the contribution you have made in whatever fields you have pursued in life. And there are children of the Boys who are now learning of our fraternity. This feature section is being dedicated to our younger generation as we leave our unique legacy to this coming generation.
Again, this work is to support the tremendous work that Ladislao, Don, and Nigel does on behalf of us. We continue to appreciate all your sharing and look forward to serving you more going forward. On behalf of the team, Blessings to you and your families......Kazim
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside 631117 page 3
04LK0002PI, Deacon Peter Gittens, St. Augustine Seminary, Hamilton Ontario
09NB0006REUNIONAJAX, Never recognized fellow students.
56RB0002e6SPORTSFIELD, The first year for the swimming pool.




No comments:

Post a Comment